Job Title: Operations Manager
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Production Supervisors
Back-Up To: TBD
WC Code: TBD
Position Family: Production
FLSA Status: Exempt
SOC Code: 11-1021
EEO Class: First Level Mid Manager
Bonus Eligible: Yes
The Operations Manager has overall responsibility for the production and warehouse departments including but not to operational layout and augmentation, performance, personnel management, safety, quality, and departmental P&L. The Operations Manager will partner with members of the management team and offer recommendations for process and equipment optimizations and will have regular interactions with customers and other outside vendors to discuss opportunities as well as areas of success. This position is expected to lead with a continuous improvement mentality.
Essential Position Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions:
- Leads daily meetings with the operations team to review safety, quality, production performance, planning and continuous improvement opportunities.
- Participates and practices Lean Manufacturing practices to such as Six Sigma, 5S, FMEA, 8D Problem Analysis, engaging team in identifying and implementing continuous improvement projects.
- Responsible for working with the Quality Department on any identified Internal Corrective Action Response (ICARS) or other customer complaints. The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring all departmental corrective action measures are implemented with assistance from other departments as needed.
- Develops a high-performance work team with focusing on employee engagement, increasing morale and job satisfaction, and increasing performance through training and development. The Operations Manager is responsible for providing regular coaching and performance communication to support individual and departmental development.
- Performs administrative functions such as budgetary administration, employee safety, performance reviews and employee counseling.
- Reviews and updates Key Performance Indicators KPIs (Daily, Weekly and Monthly) to ensure facility is meeting expectations.
- Participates in all aspects of the safety program, addressing departmental concerns and opportunities as well as pro- actively seeking opportunities to engage department in safety-related conversations.
- Participates in quarterly site safety reviews to understand problem areas and establish plans to improve overall safety record and reduce incidents.
- Meets with other members of management regularly to communicate stop gaps, status updates, staffing issues, vendor issues, or other opportunities.
- Directs the production team to ensure vacancies are covered for any planned/unplanned absences or variances to the production plan.
- Responsible for regular interface with customers and suppliers, as appropriate.
- Directs the Maintenance Department to prioritize maintenance work orders to improve OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) and reduce downtime.
- Ensures employees are properly trained in all aspects of their jobs, identifying training gaps and develops training plans.
- Ensure the desired product quality levels are achieved through use of standard work and training to those standards, training in operation and inspection techniques, and use of tools/data. Support and implement new, customer-focused processes in accordance with lean principles and practices. Actively provide change leadership as required.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement by encouraging employees to challenge existing processes and implement solutions that enhance the overall effectiveness of the operation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field with a minimum of 5 years leadership and operational experience in a
- Must have demonstrated Human Relation and Leadership skills sufficient to communicate performance expectations,
motivate, and retain staff members as required
- Must be detailed oriented and have good planning and organization skills
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills as this position interacts with customers, co-workers, office
and managerial staff
- Must have excellent reading, analytical, mathematical and mechanical aptitude skills
- Must have adequate computer skills in order to create and process reports, email, etc. (Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Must be able to obtain fork truck certification and perform all warehousing/material handling operations
- Lean Certification strongly preferred, or demonstrated training on subject
- Experience in creating and administering departmental budgets
- Able to read and understand engineering drawing and specifications
- Must be able to come in early and stay late as the need arises
- Intrinsically motivated
Required Position Competencies and Standards
Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of maintenance equipment and tools. Must be physically able to operate a motor vehicle. Must be able to use body members to work, move, or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to fifty pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to twenty-five pounds frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for physically active work. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to fifty pounds. Must be able to stand for a prolong period.
Data Conception: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether like or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people, or things.
Interpersonal Communication: Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information related to administrative duties.
Language Ability: Requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Intelligence: Requires the ability to learn and understand relatively complex principles and techniques related to administrative and clerical duties; to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire knowledge of topics related to primary occupation.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, and follow verbal and written instruction.
Numerical Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add, subtract, multiply and divide figures; determine percentages; determine time weight.
Physical Communication: Requires the ability to talk and/or hear. Talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words. (Hearing – perceiving nature of sounds by ear)
Work Environment: The work environment will consist of both a temperature regulated office area as well as an ambient temperature production and warehouse space. This role will spend most of their time on the production and warehouse floor.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; however, hours may vary based on business needs and include weekend work.
Travel: This position may require up to 10% travel inside/outside the local area and overnight. International travel may be required.
Acknowledgement of Position and Responsibilities
I fully understand the contents of this job description, have had the opportunity to ask questions regarding this job description, and have had the job duties and responsibilities, requisites, and physical demands and working conditions explained to me. I understand that MSW is an equal opportunity employer and that this job description is not a contract of employment. Its purpose is to define, though not exhaustively, the essential functions of the job. ADA requires MSW to provide adequate accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees should discuss accommodation needs with a member of Human Resources.